Arlington’s Public Art Master Plan (PAMP) is getting an update! Adopted in 2004, it outlines a strategy for how public art will improve the quality of Arlington’s public spaces and facilities. We invite you to help inform the update by participating in a fun book art project, HOME @Arlington 2017, a community art project by Sushmita Mazumdar.
Events: Join the artist and make your own HOME @Arlington book at events throughout the County between June and October 2017, including farmers markets, the County Fair, Latin American Festival, and more. Inspired by her most popular bookmaking workshop the House Book, HOME is basically a survey about public art in Arlington that you answer. Except, you also get to make your own home and what public art you would like to see in your community, so it becomes a creative community activity!
Installation: See the community-made art on display in the lobby of Courthouse Plaza (2100 Clarendon Boulevard) from July 24, 2017. As books are added after each event, colorful city blocks will begin to form on the panels that make up the installation. Once you have participated take friends and family to go see your HOME book on display with those of others in your community! There will be a DIY station there as well so if you missed the events you can make your book right there and leave it for the artist. The artwork stays on view till Oct 28.
See photos on Instagram @StudioPause, and #ARLPublicArt, and on Facebook
Check here for an updated list of events and JOIN us!
- Thursday, June 29, 3pm – 7pm, Ballston Farmer’s Market, 901 N. Taylor St, Arlington, VA 22203
- Wednesday, July 12, Kindness Club at Central Library, 4-5 pm
- Thursday, July 13, 7-9 pm, Arlington Mill Community Center gym
- Friday, July 14, 10 am – 2 pm at Courthouse Plaza
- Tuesday, July 19, 3:30-8:30 pm, Rosslyn Farmer’s Market, 1800 N Lynn Street, Central Place Plaza
- Sunday, Aug 6, 9 am-1 pm, Columbia Pike Farmer’s Market, Pike Park at Walter Reed Dr.
- Sun, Aug 20, 12-5 pm, Arlington County Fair
- Sun., Aug 27, Buckingham Community Festival, N Glebe Rd and Pershing Drive, 1-6 pm
- Fri, Sept 15 PARK(ing) Day 2017, Pop-Up Parking Lot Plaza (on the Kate Stewart Mural) behind 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, 10-2 pm
- Sat, Sept 16, Nauck Pride Day, Drew Model Elementary School, 3500 23rd Street S, 12-4 pm
- Sat, Oct 14, 9-1 pm, at Marymount Farmer’s Market
- Sun, Oct 15, 2-6 pm, at Latino American Festival, Kenmore Middle School
- Tue, Oct 17, 3-7 pm (Last chance to join in!) at Crystal City Farmer’s Market